Friday, November 18, 2016

11.16.16 /11.17.16: I wanna take a picture of him, Daddy

11.16.16-11.17.16

“I wanna take a picture of him, Daddy”

This post is brought to you by jetlag, cured meat, and gelato.  That means it is going to be short.

We just tripped through the wormhole that is overnight flying.  Somehow we left our house at 4:15pm LA time and now it’s only 10:18pm Firenze time but we’ve lost a whole day in the netherverse.  

Grandma and Papa dropped us off at the airport and H2 cried large tears for her Uncle Dan (catch a flight, homie!  I’ll save you some lactaid!) and then H1 cried large tears because her quesadilla had grill marks and her rice had a few flakes of cilantro in it.  H1 was trying to set the stage for a great week of adventurous eating.


The long flight was relatively uneventful other than both H1 and I trying to figure out how to put glitter clothes on the cut out dolls and rubbing the wrong side of the transfer paper until our fingers were raw and the paper torn.  We slept much of it (at least me and the girls did), and then we connected through Zurich.  After a little bit of waiting and a 45 minute flight, we touched down in Florence.

2 very different reactions to EURO sandwiches.


Five minutes of Florentine traffic knocked the girls out and they both napped as our driver paid no heed to lanes, people, cars, bikes, or any of the normal taste makers in driving cars.  

Our apartment is dead in the center of town.  And 72 stone stairs up.  After sitting for 15 hours, that was a bit of a challenge.  
They've swapped smile styles.




We made it to the top, all of us out of breath, and headed for the terrace.  There, across only a block of rooftops, was Brunelleschi's Dome.  Santa Maria del Fiore is visible from the window in the living room and the Palazzo Vecchio is out the window on the opposite side.  

After a significant amount of debating H1 on how cold it actually was outside, everyone was in their fleeces and ready to go get dinner.  We headed down two streets to Piazza Signora and then to Via dei Neri where we ate an insane dinner - well, three of us did.  H1 made faces at it and ate some salami.  

KEY MOMENT: Our waiter was a handsome young Italian with blue eyes and H2 fell desperately in love.  She came over to my side of the table and whispered can I take a picture of him?  And then she proceeded to in her own four year old way, take a covert picture of the dude.  Her face was pure pride.  


The new boyfriend.


And yes, of course, we washed it down with gelato.  We all went for it and it was tops.  That’s two scoops each for those keeping count.  
Gelato #1

First sneflie in Firenze!



Now these yahoos are refusing to go to bed and arguing with each other about what the heater sounds like.  I guess that’s the sign to end this thing.  

KEY MOMENT: I fell asleep with the computer in my lap last night and couldn't get this posted.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy the blog is back. I was going through withdrawals. Sorry for H1's picky eating, it must be the Katherine in her. 🙈

    ReplyDelete